Sunday, January 11, 2009

Fort Worth Fat Stock Show


It's JANUARY & that means STOCK SHOW! Every year we hit the midway having a blast. Rides, flirting, food, checking out the barns of animals...







Parades




Fort Worth is where the WEST begins - none of us were Cowgirls or in the Cowboy groups, but living in Fort Worth, we understood the history. We went to the annual rodeos year after year. Schools closed for a Stock Show day, handing out free gate entrance tickets to students.

For such a tradition, I only have a few pictures from 1969. None of us would dare wear cowboy boots during our teenage years, however by the time I was 30 - I did have several pairs, for boot scootin' two stepping of course!
First picture is of Jkle & Bbow and the Midway behind them.

Next Jkle just had something GOOD to eat!

























Hippies in the trees! This impressed us....








Jpen having fun ...


























Jpen thought it was real cold, Cfar calling her mom to come pick her up ... no cell phones then!

3 comments:

jkle said...

Oh my, Skni. Where DO you come up with these pictures and such vivid memories? I need to start taking Aricept now (the meds my Dad is on). I don't remember the hippies in the trees. I do remember eating all the time, however! So, the picture of me licking my fingers is not a surprise. I do remember that they shut school for the Stock Show. I believe we were more impressed with the midway rides and flirting with the boys than we were with looking at the animals or being cowboys!!! I remember Skni throwing up in a trash can after a fast ride, or was that at the State Fair? She also threw up on a very mild hay ride once on a retreat and then promptly made out with Sspei (I think those are his initials). My memories are obviously perverse, huh? Sorry!!!! Keep up the good work, Skni. Jog these memories of ours (mine)...whatever the case may be. Tell me I'm not the only one who has blocked some of these memories!! love, jkle

Jnan said...

I remember.. no wait! That was not me! Dang...

jkle said...

Jnan, you can't fool us. You don't remember any better than the rest of us. You aren't THAT much younger....ha!