Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Story behind "Bongo Killers" 081373

Let the Son Shine In...

Look above, it was $21.00 for a week of summer camp!

It all began the summer of 1973, we had just graduated High School. Camp in August was already the talk before beginning college or full time work. We all had been going to Camp Sagamore the last several years, it was for the YOUTH of the day having 500 or so attend. Camp was a week-long fun-filled, thought provoking, spirit filled wonderful time.

Each day began with mess hall breakfast, followed by bible study. Afternoons had free time that included crafts, swimming & sports. Every evening in the open air tabernacle was a revival service with youth choir and skits and ended with a preacher message to youth. Many lives were saved, the Holy Spirit very real and active. Many dedicated their life to God's service.

Groups were assigned to a cabin by their school grade, girls and guys were on opposite sides of the campground. Every group took on a "team" name, and this team had to stick together (we learned team building and didnt even know it) to win contests from baseball, volleyball, races and always had to present a skit.

Teams started early summer meetings to prepare for skit and hype up they were the best. Alot of fun pranks went on during the summer and different teams claimed "credit" and some pranks were left unclaimed until after camp... all leading to the fun & hype. Things like toliet papering a house of the cutest or nerdiest, we left a BK calling card.


1973 our group decided to do a skit & theme based on the Dragnet TV show, our title was The Bongo Killers. It was TOP Secret! Actually I cannot remember very much about the skit & much credit should be given to Ccra for the creation, and at the end we revealed we were the The Bongo Killers and ran.



























I also ran for camp President that summer, against Donnie Kleiver and Audie Wright.
The late Dr. Fred Swank told me personally (& Dale) that I only lost by four votes. With that said, I knew in my heart I had actually won, because I witnessed several of DK followers "stuffing" the ballot box. I did not share that with Dr. Swank, I kept it to myself until now. Ok maybe I did confide that to a few of you.
.

Review my photos and let's see some comments! To the left is my current husband Bpie and he is sittin' with Cfar! lol

I would like to hear some other camp memories from that year... i will have a separate blog for each year, more to come.







5 comments:

jhar said...

The year of the 'bongo' we(can't recall who I was with...maybe Debbie Bailey or Dee Dee)left very early that morning and drove to camp and put up signs along the road about the Bongo Killers for others to see as they arrived at camp...creating some hype! I had spent hours trying to get a good recording of The telephone song from Bye Bye Birdie, the Peter Gunn Theme song and the 'stripper' song for the skit. I probably used reel to reel, but i don't remember. I gave it to Ronnie Atkinson who was the sound guy at camp and made him swear to secrecy! I don't recall the whole story, but we lip-synced to the telephone song, someone came in to the Peter Gunn music (maybe Cathy) and we took off our Graham Bell shirts to reveal the bongo shirts to the stripper music and said "You've been used" to the audience. Somebody was in the front row and threw water on us when we took our shirts off - i don't recall who that was either. Wet t-shirt nite at Camp Sagamore!

jkle said...

skni, I am so enjoying your blog. You are so very talented! The pictures are memory-provoking. I was gone during the Bongo year(s) but feel like I was there. Jhar, your description of the skit was good. Those were the days. Anyway, keep it up, skni!!!! I am glad you figured out how to insert the "Post a Comment" link on each blog so that we can reply!!!

Anonymous said...

To Jhar - you may not have been physically at the Camp of '73,but you were in spirit. You ARE a Bongo! no buts about it. We may have coined the group name that summer, but the heart of the group started many years before.

jkle said...

Didn't see a link to post on the Glorietta blog. What memories! Skni, yes, I remember your boil. Remember that it burst while we were there? You have such a sharp mind for detail. I'm glad that you do because it's sparking my memories. I am in total admiration of you. Thanks for all the kind things you said about me. I guess it's always nice to hear that I had an impression on anyone growing up - good, bad or indifferent. What I remember about you and the entire Knight family was your giving hearts. I remember countless hours standing around the player piano, trekking out to the garage to get Cokes, writing on the chalk board, etc. Your home was always open to us. Such great growing up we all had! love, jkle

jkle said...

OK....either I am just a goofball or I can't find the post comment on the latest blog. I didn't realize there was more after the Glorietta stuff!!! Cannot believe all those old Sunday School pictures and different banquets, etc. I don't think I have seen any of those! You are good at picking out who's who. I couldn't add anything to your identifications. All I know is that I have the biggest darn head in every picture. I look like a behemoth next to even the guys!!! What's up with that. First, an Amish girl and now a Potatoe Head!!!! Can someone tell me where to find the Post a Comment link on Skni's most recent blog. Just hoping you all see this, especially you, skni!!! That picture of you and Dale is priceless. Poor man. I can't believe some of us are gone. Sad. love, jkle